Saturday 8 June 2013

Broadening our Horizons, seeing our Christian Life through the Perspective of the Kingdom of God, Part 1




Ephesians 3:16-21 Nasb
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the [m]saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. 20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations [n]forever and ever. Amen.

I was travelling with a friend of mine on our way to a respective homes after the prayer meeting at the Church where we are both active members, my friend pointed out a very distinctive smell as we got into his car and we both commented on the origin of this smell and we both realised it was the unique smell of silage and we both wondered how that smell got there.

I pointed although I grew up in the South Wales Valleys, I remembered a similar smells especially in the summer months, my friend pointed out about the rows of terraced houses that he saw in his travels to South Wales and how those terraced houses would be built alongside the sides of both hills and mountains, I pointed that I lived in a terraced house for a number of years with my parents and sisters in Melin Court, near Neath.

Melin Court (Cwrt) Waterfall.


When I was growing up in the South Wales Valleys, my only knowledge of Liverpool would be from TV programmes such as The Liverbirds, Bread, Watching and Brookside, and watching the news about the latest antics of Militant Tendency led by Derek Hatton when he attempted to turn Liverpool into the People’s Democratic Republic of Liverpool in the early 1980’s.

I first visited Liverpool some 12 or so years ago when I was travelling to Llandudno from Bradford by coach to see my Grandad who has been taken ill with a stroke and the coach had stopped in Liverpool, I remember looking at St George’s Hall and The Walker Art Gallery as I passed by on the Coach heading for The Mersey Tunnel and thinking wow what fantastic buildings.

Until two years ago when the Lord moved me from Neath to Southport, Liverpool would have been somewhere I would have visited for the day when staying on holiday or visiting Southport, and then some weeks ago when I started working in Liverpool, my perception changed, previously  it would have be somewhere I would go to go shopping, visiting Museums etc. or attending Interviews, my perceptions,  knowledge and understanding of Liverpool would have been restricted to these trips but since working in Liverpool these have both increased and developed.

Liverpool Town Hall.



I think Liverpool is a great place, and although I enjoy working there, it is not somewhere I would choose to live because of the simple fact God has called me to Southport.

For many us, our understanding of Spiritual Truths is based on the understanding of others, either because of the revelation and knowledge that has been revealed to them.

When I was a lad of 15 – 16 years old and living in Melin Court, my understanding of Liverpool was based on what I had seen on TV, this was not a true picture or understanding of Liverpool, and again I had been only walking on the Lord on my Christian Life’s journey for a few years and my understanding and revelation of the Lord, His Word, His Church and His Kingdom was limited, since then this has increased as I have walked in faith with Our Saviour and alongside other believers.

 If I had wanted to travel to the village of Abergawed on the opposite side of the valley, I had two ways of getting there,  the long way and the short way, the long way meant travelling up the valley some two miles to the village of Resolven and then down to the village of Abergawed or the most direct route across the railway line then across the river Neath and then across some fields, the long way was generally a safer route.

When the Lord speaks to us, and reveals an aspect of His truth and revelation to us we see more often or not he leads us not in the shortest route or indeed the most direct route but the long way around because we need to learn some things and adapt, change, grow up before we see the fullfilment of that revelation.

For many of us how understanding and revelation of God’s Word comes from reading Christian books I love reading especially My Bible and Christian books but for many of us including myself we need to put into practice and implement what we have learned and learned again and take action and see that revelation we have received from the Lord into a fuller and broader understanding.

Ephesians 3:20 - 21 Nasb
20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations [n]forever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 4:11 – 16 Nasb
11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the [d]saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the [e]knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature [f]which belongs to the fullness of Christ. 14 [g]As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness [h]in deceitful scheming; 15 but [I]speaking the truth in love, [j]we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together [k]by what every joint supplies, according to the [l]proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

Every Blessing in Christ Jesus

Blair Humphreys


Southport, Merseyside

No comments:

Today's post

Jesus Christ, The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever

I had the privilege to be raised in a Christian Home and had the input of my parents and grandparents into my life, they were ...