Saturday 8 September 2007



Venturing into unreported China


China has pledged more freedoms for reporters ahead of next year's Olympics, but when the BBC's Dan Griffiths travelled to the countryside to investigate reports of unrest he was detained and questioned.

China wants to keep reports of rural unrest under wraps


The village of Shengyou is a three hour drive south of Beijing, deep in the countryside surrounded by fields of maize.


A traditional landscape found across this vast nation - but everything is not as it seems.
My taxi driver tells me that the police have set up checkpoints round the village. He refuses to go any further - so I go the rest of the way on foot. I walk down a narrow lane with broad poplar trees on either side. A small tractor chugs by, the driver stares at me - foreigners are rarely seen around here.


Round a bend in the road, I see two white vans. Several policemen are standing beside them. They look as out of place in rural China as I do. The questions come thick and fast. What am I doing? Where have I come from? Who is my contact in the village?


Over the course of the next few hours they will ask me this last question again and again. From nowhere a black car pulls up and I am ushered inside.


Read More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6983247.stm from the BBC News Website.


Comment:

Although China is an economic powerhouse of the World Economy, it's still not a democracy, and although in theory a Communist Country, there is a great deal of underhand and dishonest dealings both in Public and Private life, and as we see in this story from the BBC News Website, a great deal of unrest is occuring in China, due to amongest other things greed.


According to the World Governance Indicators report, Chinese citizens have very little freedom, out of a scale of 100%, they have a freedom indicator of 4.8%, compared to other countries freedom indicators for example Cuba at 7.2%, Russia at 24%, Canada at 94.2% and Denmark at 100%.

No comments:

Today's post

Jesus Christ, The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever

I had the privilege to be raised in a Christian Home and had the input of my parents and grandparents into my life, they were ...