Friday 10 July 2015

Sticks & Stones, The power of Speech.

The power of Speech,

I’ve spent a number of years working in various Contact Centre ‘s, I would have said a Call Centre, but many of you know of a certain fly on the wall documentary set in Swansea about life in a Call Centre, to be honest I’ve spend a number of years working in Call Centres/Contact Centres and I have never seen anything or experienced anything seen in that programme.

 I spent five days a week dealing with a variety of customer queries from all parts of the UK and I know first-hand the benefits, disadvantages, advantages, the positive and negative aspects of speech.

Many of us know, the proverb/phrase “'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names/words will never hurt me'” if we’re honest we will know that this phrase isn’t totally true we have all said things that have hurt others by our words and have been hurt by what others have said to us


The writer of proverbs said in Proverbs 18:21 Nasb,

Death  and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

James 3:2-12 Nasb

2 For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well. 3 Now if we put the bits into the horses’ mouths so that they will obey us, we direct their entire body as well. 4 Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. 5 So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things.

See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. 7 For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. 8 But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; 10 from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. 11 Does a fountain sends out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce fresh.

With our words we have power to bring life or death and we all need to decide will we use ours words to bring life or to bring death, however I’m going to give you a clue,

 Deuteronomy 30:15 – 19 Nasb


 “See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, and death and adversity; 16 in that I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that you may live and multiply, and that the Lord your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it.  17 But if your heart turns away and you will not obey, but are drawn away and worship other gods and serve them, 18 I declare to you today that you shall surely perish. You will not prolong your days in the land where you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess it. 19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

No comments:

Today's post

Jesus Christ, The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever

I had the privilege to be raised in a Christian Home and had the input of my parents and grandparents into my life, they were ...