Saturday 2 August 2014

Keep William Wallace out of it says Danny Alexander, Daily Mail



I am a Highlander. I spent my early years on Colonsay in the Hebrides, then moved to Lochaber and went to high school in Fort William. One of the most powerful memories of this time was seeing the Commando memorial at Spean Bridge twice a day from the school bus.

This imposing monument commemorates the role played by young men from all over the UK in protecting our freedom during the Second World War.

It’s a sight I have in mind as we approach the decision next month on whether Scotland should break away from the UK and become independent.

That memorial, a tribute to the extraordinary strength of our family of nations, is something I will think of when I watch this week’s TV debate between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling.

It’s not often you’ll see a Liberal Democrat rooting for an ex-Labour Cabinet Minister like Darling. But now, more than ever, with only a few weeks until the referendum, is a time to lay down party political differences and stand up for the interests of Scotland – and the UK.

Expect fireworks, rhetorical flourishes and verbal acrobatics from the Scottish First Minister.


No comments:

Today's post

Jesus Christ, The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever

I had the privilege to be raised in a Christian Home and had the input of my parents and grandparents into my life, they were ...