Saturday 17 January 2015

Words for The Wise, Living the Gospel Empowered Life, Galatians 1



Galatians 1 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Introduction

1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), 2 and all the brethren who are with me,

To the churches of Galatia:

3 Grace to you and peace from [a]God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil [b]age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be the glory forevermore. Amen.

Perversion of the Gospel

6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you [c]by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel [d]contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be [e]accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel [f]contrary to what you received, he is to be [g]accursed!

10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.

Paul Defends His Ministry

11 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

13 For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; 14 and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my [h]countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. 15 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with [i]flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus.

18 Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to [j]become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 But I did not see any other of the apostles except [k]James, the Lord’s brother. 20 (Now in what I am writing to you, [l]I assure you before God that I am not lying.) 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was still unknown by [m]sight to the churches of Judea which were in Christ; 23 but only, they kept hearing, “He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith which he once tried to destroy.” 24 And they were glorifying God [n]because of me.

Word Wealth,  New Spirit Filled Life Bible

Galatians 1v6 called,  Greek,  kaleo,  Strongs#

From the root kal,  the source of the English words  “ call” and “clamor” The word is used to invite or to summon, and is especially used of God’s call to participate in the blessings of the Kingdom (Romans 8.30, 9:24-25)

Romans 8:30Modern English Version (MEV)

30 And those whom He predestined, He also called; and those whom He called, He also justified; and those whom He justified, He also glorified.

Romans 9:24-25English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)

24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 25 As indeed he says in Hosea, “Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people’,    and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved’.”



Elim Missions

Galatians 1

1. v6-9 Living with purpose keeps the important issues important.
See how many times Paul mentions the gospel, it was his and our purpose, that man is justified by grace through faith alone.

2. v10 Living with purpose leaves no concern for popularity.
We all like to be liked but at the cost of our purpose, it is not worth it.

3. v12 Living with purpose can be taught but also caught from God.

4. v17 Living with purpose is caught in the desert places.

5. v21-24 Living with purpose builds your testimony.

The Bible Panorama

Galatians 1

V 1–2: GREETING In his greeting to the churches of Galatia, Paul stresses that his apostleship is God-given, and reminds them immediately of Christ’s resurrection from the dead. One of the characteristics of an apostle is that he has seen the risen Lord personally.

 V 3–5: GRACE Paul wishes them God’s grace and peace. He reminds them that the basis of blessing is that Christ has died for our sins to ‘deliver us from this present evil age’. This was always in God’s will and for His glory.

 V 6–10: GOSPEL Paul is concerned about those who pervert the gospel of grace and turn others from it. Twice he states that anyone who perverts the gospel of Christ should be cursed. His concern is to please God and so fulfil his role as Christ’s servant.

V 11–24: GOD In authenticating his apostleship, Paul makes it quite clear that his call as an apostle has come from God. He refers back to God’s work of grace in his life, marked by an immediate desire to preach the gospel to Gentiles. God revealed to him the same gospel that he revealed collectively to the apostles, as he found out three years later when he went to Jerusalem to see Peter and James, the Lord’s brother. God underlines his status as an apostle by the blessing that He gave to Paul’s ministry among the churches. No wonder God has been glorified in Paul.

Dictionary of Bible Themes

2425 gospel, requirements of

The gospel demands an obedient response to all that God has done for humanity in Jesus Christ. This includes faith in God, trust in the work of Jesus Christ, the repenting of sin, being baptised, and becoming like Christ through discipleship.

The requirement of faith

Belief in God Heb 11:6 See also Jn 10:38; Jn 11:25-27; Jn 14:8-11

Trust in Jesus Christ Jn 3:14-16 See also Jn 1:12-13; Jn 3:36; Jn 7:37-39; Jn 20:31; Ac 13:38-39; Ac 16:31; Ro 3:22

The requirement of repentance

A conscious change of mind and heart Ac 3:17-20 See also Ps 51:17; Jer 3:12-13; Jer 6:16; Lk 18:13-14; Ac 17:30

Turning away from sin Ac 8:22 See also 2Ch 7:14; Ps 34:14; Isa 59:20; Jer 25:4-6

Turning towards God Ac 20:21 See also Dt 4:29-31; Dt 30:8-10; Isa 44:21-22; Isa 55:6-7; Hos 14:1-2; Jas 4:8-10

The requirement of baptism

Ac 2:38 See also Mt 28:18-20; Ac 8:12,36-38; Ac 10:47-48; Ac 19:1-5; Ac 22:16

The requirement of public confession of Jesus Christ

Ro 10:9-10 See also Mt 10:32 pp Lk 12:8-9

The requirement of discipleship

Willingness to learn from Jesus Christ Mt 11:28-30 See also Jn 13:14-15; Php 2:5; 1Pe 2:21

Willingness to obey Jesus Christ Jn 14:15 See also Jn 14:21,23; Jn 15:10; 1Jn 2:3-6; 1Jn 3:21-24; 1Jn 5:3; 2Jn 6


Willingness to suffer for the sake of Jesus Christ Mt 16:24 pp Mk 8:34 pp Lk 9:23 See also Ac 14:21-22; Php 1:29; 2Ti 3:10-12; Jas 1:2; 1Pe 3:14; 1Pe 4:12-19


No comments:

Today's post

Jesus Christ, The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever

I had the privilege to be raised in a Christian Home and had the input of my parents and grandparents into my life, they were ...