Wednesday 3 May 2017

Shedding light on understanding the Bible

Shedding light on understanding the Bible



Shedding light on understanding the Bible


Bible1024



Dave Newton, Principal of Elim’s Bible College and Director of Training, shares some basic ways to start getting to grips with studying the Bible.

‘Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path...’ Psalm 119 v 105
I remember a number of years ago as a schools worker teaching religious education in schools and being invited into one particular school to take an assembly. It was approaching Easter and as a team we felt it would be appropriate to explore the crucifixion and the implications of this Historical God-Man, Jesus Christ, dying such a cruel death on a cross.
The session took place in a large sports hall, with poor lighting and the sun beaming through a window onto the screen we were using. I wasn’t too surprised when we were approached by a pupil asking for clarification on what he saw after the bell had rung. I was surprised however by the question he posed; "What was the hat Jesus was wearing?" he asked. I was taken back for a moment not sure what he was referring to.
After a moment it dawned on me that he was referring to the crown of the thorns. I responded explaining the significance on this and what it was on Jesus head, only to be greeted by his amazement; he had never heard of this before.

No comments:

Today's post

Jesus Christ, The Same Yesterday, Today and Forever

I had the privilege to be raised in a Christian Home and had the input of my parents and grandparents into my life, they were ...